Criminal Background Check Information
- Criminal Background Check System Authorized Person User Manual - This manual provides information and instructions for provider use of the Criminal Background Check (CBC) system.
- Criminal Background Check Process Provider Guide Revised 02/14 - This user's guide describes the process OASAS providers MUST use to hire new employees who will have regular and substantial unsupervised contact with patients.
- Criminal Background Checks: The Process - This PowerPoint: outlines the general process for fingerprinting and criminal background checks.
- Criminal Background Checks Webcast - In this webcast, staff from OASAS Counsel’s Office provide detail regarding the requirements for conducting criminal background checks pursuant to the Justice Center Act.
- Criminal Background Check for OASAS Providers and Staff: Demystifying the Process - Learning Thursdays presentation (July 2013)
- Authorized Person(s) designated by covered providers (licensed, certified, funded or operated by OASAS) will be the first persons to initiate the process for checking the Staff Exclusion List (SEL), fingerprinting and criminal background checks of prospective employees or volunteers. Providers may designate one or two persons by submitting an Authorized Person Designation/Notarized Sworn Statement Form (PAS-120) for each person.
- OASAS Credentialing Bureau will act as a “provider” for purposes of initiating any required check of the Staff Exclusion List and the process for fingerprinting and criminal background checks at the beginning of the application process. Because Credentialing may involve an extended time period to complete education and training requirements there may be more than one required background check.
The Guide to the Criminal Background Check Process for Credentialing Applicants includes information for individuals applying for or renewing a credential. The Guide sets forth detailed instructions regarding how to register for fingerprinting, how to provide evidence of rehabilitation, and what factors OASAS will consider in determining eligibility for a credential.
- OASAS Certification Bureau will act as a “provider” for purposes of initiating any required check of the Staff Exclusion List and the process for fingerprinting and criminal background checks at the beginning of the application process.