- Hurricane Sandy Alerts and Updates posted 10/29/12
- Blood disorder from injecting OPANA ER® - Cases reported to the FDA posted 10/18/12
- Meningitis Outbreak in Five States - Tainted steroid injections used to treat back pain are the suspected source. posted 10/4/12
- Tattoo Associated Skin Infections - The FDA is particularly concerned about a family of bacteria called nontuberculous Mycobacteria (NTM) that has been found in a recent outbreak of illnesses linked to contaminated tattoo inks. posted 10/1/12
Governor Announces New Regulations to Crack Down on Synthetic Drugs - The New York State Department of Health (DOH) has issued new regulations that expand the existing list of prohibited drugs and chemicals to include dozens more substances that are now used to make synthetic drugs. (posted 8/7/12)
Zohydro - New Powerful Analgesic - At least four pharmaceutical companies are working on a more potent version of hydrocodone, which is the second most misused medication in the United States (posted 12/30/11)
- Botulism Cases Blamed on Black Tar Heroin - Botulism is a neuroparalytic disease caused by botulinum toxin.
- Deaths in the Syracuse Area Related to Heroin and Strychnine Use - The last report of strychnine being used in combination with heroin was in the 2004 - 2005 period. (posted 6/17/11)
- Rescue Breathing for Opioid Overdose - Mouth-to-mouth resuscitation is essential in responding to opioid overdoses (posted 5/12/11)
Archived Health & Emergency Alerts are available.