Information for Individuals, Parents and Families
The New York State Department of Health (DOH) and NYS OASAS offer new publications to educate and raise awareness of prescription drug abuse.
OASAS Brochures and General Information
- Prescription Safety - What you need to know when you take a prescription home.
- Prescription Drug Misuse Fact Sheet Downloadable one page fact sheet from OASAS
- The Power of Parenting - Downloadable brochures from OASAS
- Tips for Parents - Parents: The Anti-Drug
Free on-line Training on Medication Abuse - Community Anti-Drug Coalitions of America (CADCA) offers members of community anti-drug coalitions training on prescription drug abuse prevention
- MOMSTELL.ORG MOMSTELL's mission is to promote awareness and eliminate the stigma of drug and alcohol abuse through improving treatment, education, legislation, and policy. The goal is to join concerned parents and families and work together for positive change regarding substance abuse issues
- Home to Homeroom - The initiative was developed to align parents with medical expert in their teens' school - the school nurse - to prevent and address teen medicine abuse
- What You Can Do To Help Prevent Teen Prescription Drug Abuse The National Council on Patient Information and Education (NCPIE) and the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
- Medicine Cabinet Inventory Brochure - Keep track of your prescriptions and help prevent prescription drug abuse
- Lock it Up: Medicine Safety in Your Home Video US Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- FAQs About Proper Disposal of Drugs NYS Department of Environmental Conservation
List of New York Counties with Medication Drop Boxes - NYSDOH website
- AMCC Rx Drop The American Medicine Chest Challenge (AMCC) provides a free mobile app that allows people across the country to use their phone to locate a safe and secure prescription drug disposal site near them
Prescription Misuse Addressed throughout NYS
- New York City Department of Health Opioid Campaign - Press release announcing campaign to reduce excessive and recreational use of opioid pain relievers.
- DePaul's National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence-Rochester Area Prescription Drug Abuse Campaign including downloadable Fact Sheets in English and Spanish.
Sullivan County Prescription Drug Abuse Task Force - The Task Force hopes to work on several fronts to bring about change: through crafting and implementing specialized educational interventions, best practices, screening tools and law and policy change